American Electric Technologies (AETI) launched its M&I DrillAssist Drilling Control System this week at the 2012 OTC in Houston. Based on field-proven control system software acquired from Amnor Technologies in March, the new system is designed for managing, controlling and monitoring drilling rig operations. Key system elements include:
- Drawworks control/AutoDriller with WOB, ROP, standpipe pressure and torque control functionality;
- Mud pump control, including anti-synch, pause/resume control and auto auxiliaries control;
- Top drive/rotary table monitoring;
- Power system management with integrated power limiting for optimizing and managing all rig power equipment, including generator sets, VFDs and motor control center;
- Rig monitoring and communications, including integrated CCTV/data logging and talk back integration.
The system runs on multiple PLC platforms and can be configured as a drillers’ chair, stand-up control system or by way of other optional cabin configurations. Integrated power management capabilities and improved block control provide for safer rig floor operations.
“By combining the industry-leading safety capabilities from Amnor Technologies with M&I’s power management technologies, DrillAssist offers drilling contractors the most compelling and flexible drilling control system on the market,” said Ron Nance, automation group vice president for AETI.
The system will be sold as part of a range of AC land and offshore drilling solutions for the North American shale, worldwide oil and gas, and global unconventional oil exploration markets.