Hess makes Pecan-1 discovery offshore Ghana

Posted on 19 December 2012

Hess Corp has made a discovery in the Pecan-1 exploration well. Located in the Deepwater Tano/Cape Three Points license offshore Ghana, the well encountered 245 net ft of oil pay in two separate Turonian intervals. The Pecan-1 well was drilled to a total depth of 15,420 ft in a water depth of 8,245 ft.

An extensive data acquisition program was undertaken, including wireline logs and modular formation dynamics testers. The well was then sidetracked to obtain bypass cores and is now being suspended. Hess has 90% interest in the block with the Ghana National Petroleum Corp holding the remaining 10%.

Pecan-1 is Hess’ fifth discovery on the block and follows the discoveries at Almond (53 net ft oil pay), Beech (146 net ft oil pay), Hickory North (98 net ft gas condensate pay) and Paradise (120 net ft oil pay and 295 net ft gas condensate pay).

Hess will next drill the Cob prospect, located approximately 15 miles northeast of the Pecan-1 discovery. Pre-development and further exploration activities are planned for 2013.

Leave a Reply

*

FEATURED MICROSITES


Recent Drilling News

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: Standardized communication key to progress of automation

    As automation technologies develop, it’s critical for the industry to establish standardized means of communication and terminology, John Berra, former Chairman of Emerson...

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: Gene Facey receives IADC Exemplary Service Award

    Gene Facey, a passionate volunteer and representative of the offshore drilling industry, recently was recognized with an IADC Exemplary Service Award. Stephen Colville, IADC...

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: NOV developing device to provide real-time drill string, wellbore data while tripping

    National Oilwell Varco (NOV) is expanding the efficiency and safety benefits of wired drill pipe to tripping activities. Brian Van Burkleo, Business Development...

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: IADC ART Subcommittee evaluating cyber security standards for drilling contractors

    The IADC Advanced Rig Technology (ART) Committee’s Drilling Control Systems (DCS) Subcommittee was created to provide information and guidelines to improve safety...

  • 19 September 2014

    ExxonMobil to add 17,800 net acres in Permian Basin

    ExxonMobil has entered an agreement with LINN Energy to add 17,800 net acres in the Permian Basin to its US oil and natural gas portfolio managed by subsidiary XTO Energy. In the exchange, LINN Energy will...

  • Read more news