On 8 May, supply chain representatives from 11 drilling contractors met to develop a strategy for the IADC Supply Chain Committee using the Hoshin Kanri methodology of strategy deployment. The committee selected supplier performance and trade compliance as the two main areas of focus. On 9 June, the IADC Leadership Team approved the suggested strategic initiatives:
Subcommittee led by Abhishek Vyas of Pacific Drilling and Brad Green of Ensco:
- Create standard supplier key performance indicators (KPIs) – provide guidance and definitions for creation of specific KPIs to measure suppliers.
- Develop standard supplier performance scorecard – develop a standard template to capture supplier KPIs and company/industry expectations.
- Benefits: Consistency among drillers on what metrics are important for suppliers to improve, perform and maintain to be successful. Reduces the number of client-specific KPI requirements for the suppliers.
Subcommittee led by Joseph Turner of Maersk Drilling USA and Boris Kos of Ensco:
- Develop country-specific import and export guidelines (equipment, parts, etc) – develop guidance for drilling contractors to follow and ensure import and export requirements are being interpreted the same way. Focus is on high-risk, highly active countries.
- Develop requirements for importing and exporting rigs – develop guidance for drilling contractors to follow and ensure requirements for rig import and export are being interpreted the same way. Focus is on high-risk, highly active countries.
- Benefits: If all drilling contractors interpret requirements the same way, this will minimize penalty exposures and facilitate rig, equipment and parts import/export.