The International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC) is set to kick off on 15 November in Bangkok, Thailand, under the theme “Technology and Operational Excellence: Keys to Sustainable Global Energy.” More than 60 technical sessions will be held during the three-day conference, on such topics as extreme environments (HPHT and deepwater), drilling & completion case studies, well planning, the bottomhole assembly, expandables and casing, asset integrity, and drilling fluids and cementing.
A plenary session addressing the conference theme will feature:
• Zhou Jiping, VP, China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC), and vice chairman and president, PetroChina;
• Yves-Louis Darricarrere, executive VP, TOTAL, and chairman of the Diversity Council of TOTAL, and president, TOTAL E&P;
• Dato’ Wee Yiaw Hin, executive VP, exploration & production, Petronas;
• Gerald Schotman, chief technology officer, Shell; and
• Mark Sikkel, VP Asia Pacific, ExxonMobil Production.
The speakers will address how the industry can:
• Provide assurance that the industry will continue to develop resources in order to meet the growing demand for energy;
• Demonstrate that the industry is committed to developing and introducing new technologies that will improve the exploration success rate and increase the recovery factors from existing assets;
• Show that the industry is investing in operational excellence to mitigate the risks associated with E&P operations in challenging conditions;
• Confirm the commitment for exploring more efficient ways of producing energy and cleaner fuels and in mitigating greenhouse gas emissions from energy processes; and
• Move to the successful exploitation of previously unexploited hydrocarbons, such as unconventional oil and gas, and adapt the lessons learned from early successes in North America to specific regulatory and logistic conditions prevailing in other areas of the world.
Four panel sessions are planned for the conference as well. The first, “Unlocking Unconventional Resources – Keys to Success: Technology, Costs, Opportunity, Global Adoption,” will feature:
• Jean-Marie Guillermou, senior VP, E&P Asia Pacific, TOTAL;
• Liu Zhenwu, VP, Advisory Center, CNPC;
• David Knox, CEO, Santos;
• Satish Pai, VP of operations, Schlumberger; and
• Martin Stäuble, VP gas, Shell China Exploration and Production.
Speakers on the second panel session, “Technology Development and Innovation,” are:
• Jean-Georges Malcor, president, CGGVeritas;
• Giambattista de Ghetto, senior VP research and technological innovation, E&P Division, ENI;
• Rick Weber, VP technical, ExxonMobil Exploration Co;
• Somkiet Janmaha, executive VP, Geoscience Group, PTTEP; and
• Bård Krokan, head of exploration technology, Statoil.
The third session, “Operational Excellence: People, Processes and Technology,” will have as panelists:
• Abdulla Al-Marzooqi, VP health, safety and environment, Abu Dhabi National Oil Co;
• Fawaz Bitar, VP – operations, Asia Pacific, BP Indonesia;
• Tom Knode, HSE manager, Halliburton; and
• John McCreery, Partner, Bain & Co.
Speakers on the final panel session will address “Deepwater Challenges – GOM’s Long-Term Impact and How the Industry Can Move Forward.” They are:
• Keelan Adamson, VP engineering and technical support, Transocean;
• Jerry Schubel, president and CEO, Aquarium of the Pacific;
• David Stewart, VP wells disciplines, Shell; and
• Mohd Jukris Wahab, chairman, Petronas Sudan Operations.
IPTC’s opening session will feature prominent guests as well, including:
• Thailand’s Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn;
• Dr Norkun Sitthiphong, PTTEP chairman and Ministry of Energy Thailand Permanent Secretary;
• Minister of Energy, Thailand;
• Dr Mohammed Hamed Al-Rumhy, Minister of Oil & Gas, Oman.
For more information on IPTC or to register, click here.