Maersk Drilling and Maersk FPSOs are launching their first global annual environmental report, covering 2008. The report encompasses both companies’ activities as the two business units were united under Maersk Contractors until mid-2008. The report:
- Highlights environmental performance data.
- Identifies areas where changes have taken place compared with 2007.
- Highlights the current environmental initiatives.
- Presents the environmental strategy and objectives for 2009 to 2013.
- Identifies potential areas for improvement.
The data in the report is extracted from the two organizations’ global environmental performance monitoring programme and includes:
- Atmospheric emissions.
- Planned and unplanned discharges.
- Waste generation.
- Resource consumption.
Activities within these areas are measured in order to improve performance and to document progress.
2009 IADC chairman and Maersk Drilling CEO Claus V Hemmingsen says in the report, “Environmentally sustainable performance is becoming more important to us than ever. Reducing our environmental footprint has become part of our overall strategy. … With regards to management and reporting, we are conducting a total revamp of our management system including environmental management to focus our efforts in the most environmentally beneficial areas.”