This is the third consecutive year that Noble Drilling has won the SAFE Award. Winners in other categories are:
• Production contractor: Danos & Curole Marine Contractors.
• High-activity operator: Devon Energy Production.
• Moderate-activity operator: Noble Energy.
Chris Oynes (left), MMS, presents A.J. Guiteau, Diamond Offshore, with the Offshore Leadership Award.
The OLA recognizes individuals for safety achievements, improved environmental protection or enhanced resource recovery and conservation, or who have inspired innovation and outstanding performance by others.
Mr Guiteau, manager of training & development at Diamond, has worked with IADC for many years on various efforts to improve industry safety. In the early 1990s, he served as chairman of the IADC Well Control Committee and led the group’s efforts to create and develop WellCAP.
MMS pointed to Mr Guiteau’s excellence as providing valuable insight into the “science” associated with proper test development, proper test formulation, and accepted test analysis techniques for well control and production safety training programs.
Other 2009 OLA winners recognized were:
• Wayne Broussard, PSN/Grasso, “for the effective use of his outstanding ‘Now You Know’ newsletter to improve safety and environmental performance.”
• George Hagerman, Virginia Tech Advanced Research Institute, “for demonstrating outstanding dedication to the emerging renewable energy program by providing comprehensive, accurate, valuable and educational information on offshore alternative energy technologies.”
• Ann Jochens, Texas A&M University, “for demonstrating exceptional leadership and a proactive approach in bringing federal agencies together to obtain and compile information about the biology and behavior of whales.”
• Paul Landry, Apache Corp, “for excellent leadership and outstanding dedication in developing training programs to promote safe operations and regulatory compliance on offshore platforms.”
• Darryl Luoma, BP Exploration (Alaska), “for outstanding leadership in the innovative and visionary approach to developing the use of extended-reach drilling technology for the Liberty Development Project.
• Alan Romine and John Seeger, InterACT PMTI; Chris Brooks, Merit Energy Co; and William “Billy” Poe, Explosive Service International, “for outstanding commitment and dedication to better understanding the extent and impact of ocean noise on the OCS.”
• Harlan King; Virgil Russell, BP America; and Al Gonsoulin, Petroleum Helicopter, “for their outstanding dedication and leadership in promoting improved medical care and evacuation capabilities for offshore facilities.”