PTTEP makes its first investment in Brazil deepwater

Posted on 09 April 2014

A subsidiary of Thailand’s PTTEP has signed a farm-in agreement with BG E&P Brasil for four predominantly deepwater blocks, marking PTTEP’s initial foray into South American E&P. “The signing of this agreement with BG Brasil is a significant and the first step for PTTEP to expand its investment in South America, which is one of the highest potential oil resources of the world,” Tevin Vongvanich, PTTEP President and CEO, said.

The four exploration blocks – BAR-M-215, BAR-M-217, BAR-M-252 and BAR-M-254 – cover approximately 3,077 sq km in the northeastern deepwaters of the Barreirinhas Basin offshore Brazil.

Upon approval of the deal by Brazil’s National Agency of Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels, PTTEP Brasil will hold 25% interest while operator BG Brasil will hold the remaining 75%. The companies plan to conduct 3D seismic surveys of the area to assess its preliminary potential. “This year, the joint venture partners plan to commence a multi-client 3D seismic survey in the four blocks,” Mr Vongvanich said.

PTTEP currently has more than 40 E&P projects in Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa, Australia, North America and now also South America.

Leave a Reply

*

FEATURED MICROSITES


Recent Drilling News

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: Standardized communication key to progress of automation

    As automation technologies develop, it’s critical for the industry to establish standardized means of communication and terminology, John Berra, former Chairman of Emerson...

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: Gene Facey receives IADC Exemplary Service Award

    Gene Facey, a passionate volunteer and representative of the offshore drilling industry, recently was recognized with an IADC Exemplary Service Award. Stephen Colville, IADC...

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: NOV developing device to provide real-time drill string, wellbore data while tripping

    National Oilwell Varco (NOV) is expanding the efficiency and safety benefits of wired drill pipe to tripping activities. Brian Van Burkleo, Business Development...

  • 19 September 2014

    Video: IADC ART Subcommittee evaluating cyber security standards for drilling contractors

    The IADC Advanced Rig Technology (ART) Committee’s Drilling Control Systems (DCS) Subcommittee was created to provide information and guidelines to improve safety...

  • 19 September 2014

    ExxonMobil to add 17,800 net acres in Permian Basin

    ExxonMobil has entered an agreement with LINN Energy to add 17,800 net acres in the Permian Basin to its US oil and natural gas portfolio managed by subsidiary XTO Energy. In the exchange, LINN Energy will...

  • Read more news