Statoil, ExxonMobil successfully test Zafarani reservoir in Tanzania Block 2

Posted on 03 March 2014

Statoil and co-venturer ExxonMobil announced the results from their first drill stem test in the Tanzania Block 2 offshore discoveries. The data acquired is important to reduce technical uncertainties in a possible future Tanzania offshore and LNG development.

The Zafarani-2 operation tested two separate intervals and flowed at a maximum of 66 million standard cu ft of gas per day, constrained by equipment, and confirmed good reservoir quality and connectivity.

The drill stem test operation was performed through a re-entry in the Zafarani-2 well, in 2,400 m water depth and approximately 80 km off the coast of southern Tanzania.

“The ongoing appraisal program is crucial to firm up the design and development basis for bringing gas to shore and a first phase onshore LNG project in Tanzania,” said Øystein Michelsen, Statoil’s Tanzania Country Manager. “We are now working constructively with our co-venturer ExxonMobil, Blocks 1, 3 and 4 and the Tanzanian authorities to progress the plans for a joint LNG plant development.”

The production well rate potentials are estimated to be higher than the equipment constrained rates obtained during the test. The Zafarani-2 operation will be followed by the appraisal well Zafarani-3, which concludes the planned appraisal in the Zafarani reservoir, the cornerstone for a field development in Tanzania Block 2.

The Zafarani-2 well test announcement follows the Mronge-1 discovery made in December 2013, which was the fifth discovery in Block 2 and brought the natural gas in place volumes up to 17-20 trillion cu ft.

The Mronge-1 was preceded by three successful high-impact gas discoveries during the first drilling phase with Tangawizi-1, Zafarani-1 and Lavani-1, and a deeper discovery in a separate reservoir in Lavani-2.

Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp (TPDC) and has a 65% working interest, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania holding the remaining 35%.

 

Leave a Reply

*

FEATURED MICROSITES


Recent Drilling News

  • 26 November 2014

    US EIA: Increase in energy demand requires 33 million bbl/day more oil

    The world is going to need one-third more oil between 2010 and 2040, with developing countries, such as China and India, accounting for a major portion in the increase in...

  • 25 November 2014

    Prescriptive Analytics prescribes how to complete wells to maximize production

    "Big data" is taking on a new role in industry, where companies are combining the findings from geology and geophysics with new data collected from advanced technologies...

  • 25 November 2014

    Petrobras completes drilling first appraisal well in Libra Consortium

    Petrobras recently completed drilling the first appraisal well in the Libra area, the 3-BRSA-1255 (3-RJS-731), known as NW1. Located in the Northwest portion of the Libra block, in the pre-salt layer of the...

  • 24 November 2014

    Ensign secures contracts for 2 ADR 1500S pad drill rigs in Montney area

    Ensign Energy Services has signed contracts for two of its new ADR 1500S pad drill rigs for a major operator in the Montney area of northeast British Columbia...

  • 21 November 2014

    Statoil cancels Stena Carron rig contract offshore Angola

    Statoil has decided to cancel the Stena Carron rig contract after fulfilling the work commitments in the Statoil-operated blocks 38 and 39 in the Kwanza basin offshore Angola...

  • Read more news