CATEGORIZED | News, The Offshore Frontier

Statoil makes natural gas discovery offshore Tanzania

Posted on 06 December 2013

The Mronge-1 discovery is 20 km north of the Zafarani discovery. The  natural gas discovery brings the total of volumes up to 17 to 20 Tcf in Block 2.

The Mronge-1 discovery is 20 km north of the Zafarani discovery. The natural gas discovery brings the total of in-place volumes up to 17 to 20 Tcf in Block 2.

Statoil, with co-venturer ExxonMobil, made its fifth discovery in Block 2 offshore Tanzania.

The discovery of an additional 2 to 3 trillion cu ft (Tcf) of natural gas in place in the Mronge-1 well brings the total of in-place volumes up to 17 to 20 Tcf in Block 2. Transocean‘s drillship Discoverer Americas drilled Mronge-1 at 2,500-meter water depth, and the site is located 20 km north of the Zafarani discovery.

“We have initiated a new and ambitious drilling campaign offshore Tanzania following four successful discoveries during the first drilling phase. The Mronge-1 well discovered additional gas volumes and furthers the potential for a natural gas development in Tanzania. The new drilling program also allows us to fully explore the remaining exploration potential in Block 2,” Nick Maden, senior vice president for Statoil’s exploration activities in the Western hemisphere, said.

The Mronge-1 well discovered gas at two separate levels. The main accumulation is at the same stratigraphic level as proven in the Zafarani-1 well in Block 2. The Zafarani-1 discovery was made in 2012 and was a play opener for the block.

The secondary accumulation was encountered in a separate, younger gas bearing reservoir, in a play, which previously has not been tested in Block 2.

The Mronge-1 discovery is the venture’s fifth discovery in Block 2. It was preceded by three successful high-impact gas discoveries during the first drilling phase with Tangawizi-1, Zafarani-1 and Lavani-1 and a deeper discovery in a separate reservoir in Lavani-2.

The Statoil-operated partnership started its drilling campaign in Block 2 in September 2013. In addition to Mronge-1, the campaign includes drilling of several new prospects and appraisal of previous discoveries. Following Mronge-1, the partnership is scheduled to appraise the 2012 Zafarani discovery.

Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp and has a 65% working interest, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania holding the remaining 35%. Statoil has been in Tanzania since 2007, when it was awarded the operatorship for Block 2.

Leave a Reply

*

FEATURED MICROSITES


Recent Drilling News

  • 16 April 2014

    Maersk Drilling takes delivery of ultra-deepwater drillship

    Maersk Drilling has taken the delivery of its second drillship, Maersk Valiant from the Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) shipyard in Geoje-Si, South-Korea. Maersk Valiant has begun its voyage toward the...

  • 16 April 2014

    Ensco orders new jackups from Lamprell

    Ensco has ordered two high-specification jackups, ENSCO 140 and ENSCO 141, for delivery in mid-2016 from Lamprell’s shipyard in the United Arab Emirates. The rigs will also...

  • 16 April 2014

    MPD/UBD successfully drills sidetrack after 6 failed conventional drilling attempts

    In the Brookeland Field in East Texas, conventional drilling methods failed in six attempts to drill a “straightforward” horizontal wellbore. The original well had surface casing installed...

  • 16 April 2014

    Chevron’s DGD training program serves array of learners across generations

    Since 2008, more than 400 people – from operators, drilling contractors, service companies and regulators – have completed Chevron’s dual-gradient drilling (DGD) training...

  • 16 April 2014

    Pacific Drilling integrates ‘disruptive’ DGD technology into 7th-generation drillship

    A disruptive technology is one that “gets its start away from the mainstream of a market and, then, as its functionality improves over time, invades the main market,” as defined by Harvard...

  • Read more news