Statoil’s Zafarani exploration well a success in East Africa

Posted on 24 February 2012

The Ocean Rig Poseidon drillship and support vessels will complete their work at the Zafarani location before moving on to a second well in Block 2. (Photo: Statoil/Heine Melkevik)

Statoil has encountered indications of natural gas in the Zafarani exploration well in the Block 2 license offshore Tanzania.  Logging results point to a high-impact discovery that has so far proved up to 5 Tcf of gas in-place. “This discovery is the first Statoil-operated discovery in East Africa and an important event for the future development of the Tanzanian gas industry,” said Tim Dodson, executive vice president for exploration in Statoil.

The Ocean Rig Poseidon drillship is completing drilling activities at Zafarani and, upon completion, will move to drill a second well in Block 2 on the Lavani prospect.

Zafarani encountered 120 meters of quality reservoir with high porosity and high permeability.  The gas-water contact has not been established, and drilling operations are on-going.

“This discovery could potentially be a catalyst for large-scale natural gas developments in Tanzania,” says Yona Killaghane, managing director of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp(TPDC).

The Zafarani exploration well, the first Statoil-operated discovery in East Africa, has proved up to 5 Tcf of gas in place.

Zafarani is the first exploration well that has been drilled in the license, which covers an area of approximately 5,500 sq km. The water depth at the well location is 2,582 meters, and the well itself will be drilled to reach an expected total depth of around 5,100 meters.

The Zafarani discovery is the fifth high-impact discovery made by Statoil in the last 12 months, with the other discoveries being Skrugard and Havis in the Barents Sea, Johan Sverdrup (former Aldous/Avaldsnes) in the North Sea, and Peregrino South in Brazil.

Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of TPDC and has a 65% working interest, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania holding the remaining 35%. TPDC has the right to a 10% working interest in case of a development phase.

Leave a Reply

*

FEATURED MICROSITES


Recent Drilling News

  • 17 April 2014

    Shell makes deepwater gas discovery offshore Malaysia

    Shell has made an exploration discovery offshore Malaysia in the Rosmari-1 well located 135 km offshore Malaysia in Block SK318. The well was drilled to a total depth of 2,123...

  • 16 April 2014

    Maersk Drilling takes delivery of ultra-deepwater drillship

    Maersk Drilling has taken the delivery of its second drillship, Maersk Valiant from the Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) shipyard in Geoje-Si, South-Korea. Maersk Valiant has begun its voyage toward the...

  • 16 April 2014

    Ensco orders new jackups from Lamprell

    Ensco has ordered two high-specification jackups, ENSCO 140 and ENSCO 141, for delivery in mid-2016 from Lamprell’s shipyard in the United Arab Emirates. The rigs will also...

  • 16 April 2014

    MPD/UBD successfully drills sidetrack after 6 failed conventional drilling attempts

    In the Brookeland Field in East Texas, conventional drilling methods failed in six attempts to drill a “straightforward” horizontal wellbore. The original well had surface casing installed...

  • 16 April 2014

    Chevron’s DGD training program serves array of learners across generations

    Since 2008, more than 400 people – from operators, drilling contractors, service companies and regulators – have completed Chevron’s dual-gradient drilling (DGD) training...

  • Read more news