Air Date: 26 March, 2019 @ 10.00 CDT
In This Virtual Panel Discussion:
The offshore drilling industry needs efficiency gains and cost savings as never before. Fortunately, managed pressure drilling can provide both cost savings and, just as importantly, enhanced drilling safety. MPD is defined by IADC as an adaptive drilling process used to precisely control the annular pressure profile throughout the wellbore. The objectives are to ascertain the downhole pressure environment limits and to manage the annular hydraulic pressure profile accordingly. It is the intention of MPD to avoid continuous influx of formation fluids to the surface. Any influx incidental to the operation will be safely contained using an appropriate process.
The use of closed-loop systems common to all types of MPD represents a giant step forward from conventional, open-to-air drilling systems.
For nearly two decades, industry has viewed MPD as an exotic, niche technology with limited applications. Now, however, inclusion of MPD systems aboard drilling rigs is increasingly common. Further, whereas in the past the job of running MPD operations was limited to specialized third-party consultants, today drilling crews are gaining competency in MPD.
This virtual panel discussion, sponsored by ABS, brings together an operator, drilling contractor, and classification society to define MPD, detail the benefits in efficiency and safety, explore what makes a rig and crew MPD capable, and provide an outlook for the future of this important technology.
- Joseph “Joe” Rouseau, Director – Global Offshore, ABS
- Christopher Scarborough, Senior Wells Engineer – Well Control & MPD, BP
- Neil Gooding, MPD/Well Control superintendent, Seadrill
- Mike Killalea, IADC Group Vice President/Publisher (moderator)
This virtual panel discussion is sponsored by ABS.
Complete the form below to pre-register for this free event.
Want more on MPD?
Check out these additional IADC events:
- IADC Drilling Engineering Committee Q1 Technology Forum, “MPD: Are We There Yet” (iadc.org/event/iadc-dec-tech-forum), morning of Tuesday, 12 March, Wild Well Control, 2202 Oil Center Ct, Houston, TX 77073 (no-cost registration, includes lunch)
- IADC/SPE Managed Pressure Drilling & Underbalanced Operations Conference & Exhibition, 9-10 April, Mövenpick Hotel Amsterdam (iadc.org/event/iadc-spe-mpd-ubo-2019).