Global and Regional MarketsNewsThe Offshore Frontier

ExxonMobil starts oil production at Erha North Phase 2 project ahead of schedule, under budget

Exxon Mobil Corporation announced today that its subsidiary, Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria, has started oil production ahead of schedule at the Erha North Phase 2 project offshore Nigeria.

The Erha North Phase 2 project is a deepwater subsea development located 60 miles offshore Nigeria in 3,300 ft of water and four miles north of the Erha field, which has been producing since 2006. The Erha North Phase 2 project includes seven wells from three drill centers tied back to the existing Erha North floating production, storage and offloading vessel, reducing additional infrastructure requirements.

The project is estimated to develop an additional 165 million bbl from the currently producing Erha North field. Peak production from the expansion is currently estimated at 65,000 BPD and will increase total Erha North field production to approximately 90,000 BPD.

“Executing successful projects such as Erha North Phase 2 ahead of schedule and under budget results from ExxonMobil’s disciplined project management approach and expertise,” said Neil W. Duffin, President of ExxonMobil Development Company. “We are able to create additional shareholder value by optimizing existing infrastructure, which reduces capital spending requirements and improves capital efficiency.”

Mr Duffin said the ahead-of-schedule startup was supported by strong performance from Nigerian contractors, which accounted for more than $2 billion of project investment for goods and services, including subsea equipment, facilities and offshore installation.

“These contracts are bringing direct and indirect benefits to the Nigerian economy through project spending and employment, consistent with project objectives,” Mr Duffin said.

ExxonMobil expects to increase its global production volumes this year by 2% to 4.1 million BOE/day, driven by 7% liquids growth. The volume increase is supported by the ramp up of projects completed in 2014 and the expected startup of major developments in 2015.

The Erha North field was discovered in 2004 and initial production commenced in 2006. Operator Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria holds a 56.25% interest in Erha North Phase 2, while Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production holds the remaining 43.75% share.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button