Home / News (page 360)


When protecting environment, 'everywhere is sensitive'

 Transocean’s Dr Ian Hudson said the drilling sector is in a completely different place to 50 years ago, with huge progress made across the HSE front. Moreover, being responsible is good business, he pointed out in remarks made at the 2009 IADC Environmental Conference on 12 May in Stavanger, Norway.

However, he warned that there was no such thing as a “one-size-fits-all” approach to getting it right and making further progress and that there is a great deal of confusion outside upstream petroleum as to what drilling companies actually do.

Read More »

Slip joint performance highlighted, improvements urged

 In 2008, the offshore industry lost more than 230 barrels of oil to the marine environment in 22 separate incidents, leading to cumulative downtime of 48 hours and lost revenues of more than $600,000 due to problems with slip joints, the design of which has advanced little over the decades.

But, over a period of five years, Colin Craig, operations performance adviser at Transocean, reckons more than 1,500 barrels were lost over the prior five years via 105 slip joint failures – an average of more than 300 barrels and 22 incidents per annum.

Read More »

Semi mobilization provides lessons on invasive marine species

 Franco dos Santos is deeply involved in relocating the semisubmersible Noble Farrington from West Africa to the Mediterranean and told the IADC Environmental Conference & Exhibition in Stavanger that it has been a steep learning curve.

He said the decision at Noble to take the semi through a full assessment for invasive marine species was both arduous and a wake-up call.

Read More »


 The May/June 2009 edition of Drilling Contractor, the only magazine exclusively dedicated to drilling and completion, is now available online. The online edition offers exclusive web features not available in the print version.

Now available for download in both PDF and HTML formats.

 The May/June DC explores multiple topics:

  • • Onshore Drilling
  • • Offshore Drilling
  • • Brazil
  • • Completions
  • • Health, Safety and Environment
  • • Technology Showcase

Read More »

Noble wins third consecutive MMS SAFE Award

 Noble Drilling Corp was the winner in the Safety Award for Excellence (SAFE) drilling contractor category, presented on 7 May by the MMS during OTC in Houston. Additionally, A.J. Guiteau of Diamond Offshore Drilling was the only drilling contractor winner among recipients of the Offshore Leadership Award (OLA).

SAFE recognizes companies for outstanding safety and pollution prevention performance. The selection criteria consist of inspection and incident data and input from MMS district and regional offices.

Read More »

Line management accountability key to leading behavioural change

 NDC works closely with client ADMA-OPCO to define and understand roles and accountability of key positions like drilling supervisor and rig manager.

Dupont didn’t like it when its dynamite factories blew up. Hurt people. Bad for business. Then they came up with a breakthrough: They ordered each plant’s manager and his family to move into the plants. Guess what? The explosions stopped.

So goes the story of Dupont some two centuries ago, related by Eamon Gorman, director-well engineering and logistics, Petroleum Development Oman, serving as moderator for the panel discussion “Leading Behavioural Change” at IADC Drilling HSE Middle East on 21 April in Abu Dhabi. Saudi Aramco was the platinum sponsor for IADC Drilling HSE Middle East 2009.

Read More »

IADC chairman: Industry will move forward to build environmental culture; long-term outlook strong

 IADC chairman Claus Hemmingsen presents Ali H Al-Ghamdi with a gift in appreciation of Mr Al-Ghamdi’s service as chairman of the IADC Northern Arabian Gulf Chapter.

The drilling industry can develop an environmental culture to match its “extraordinary” safety culture, and this will happen over the next couple of years, said IADC chairman Claus Hemmingsen, speaking 21 April at IADC Drilling HSE Middle East 2009 in Abu Dhabi.

“I am confident that over the next couple of years, with the programs that are contemplated, we will see an environmental culture that will match the already-existing safety culture,” Mr Hemmingsen remarked.

Read More »

DC survey reveals industry optimism

 A survey by DrillingContractor.org finds an astonishing level of optimism among its readers. Fully 83% of respondents believe that recovery in drilling will occur by 2010, or even 2009. The remaining 17% adopt a far more cautious stance, believing recovery is nowhere in sight (5%) or will remain elusive throughout 2010.

But how much value can be attached to these forecasts?

Read More »