ExxonMobil’s Paul Pastusek to lead drill bit forensics virtual session on 12 April
As part of IADC’s ongoing efforts to modernize and update its drill bit dull grading system, the Advanced Rig Technology (ART) Committee will hold a training session from 07.00-08.30 on 12 April on bit and BHA forensics. The virtual session is a collaborative effort with the International Association of Directional Drilling.
The learning objectives will be on how to incorporate forensic analysis of bit and BHA wear scars and fractures as a diagnostic tool for identifying key limiters and corrective actions. The session will explore the observations and documentation used in such analysis.
Other topics to be explored include:
- Reading fracture initiation and direction of loading
- Erosion and corrosion
- Bit wear scars – mechanical and thermal
- BHA wear scars and direction of motion
- Torsion and HFTO loads
- Bit balling and ribbon flow
Paul Pastusek, Drilling Mechanics Advisor for ExxonMobil, will lead this training session. Others may add commentary as questions come up.
To participate in the hands-on demonstrations in this training, obtain:
- 3 pieces of good quality chalkboard white chalk
- Two pieces of sand paper, one course (~60 grit), one fine (~220 grit), minimum 3×5 inch
- One piece of paper or smooth card stock, minimum 3×5 inch
- One or more Oreo™ cookie(s) (or similar laminated cookie with hard outer layers and inner deformable layer)
12 April 2021 at 07.00 Houston (GMT-05.00). To receive the link and passcode to view this VPD, each viewer must register individually.+ Add to Calendar
Please note: Your webinar link and password will be emailed to you before the event.
If you would like to submit questions in advance for the panelists to answer during the session, please click here.